|Current Security and Safety Measures
WMASD Review of Security and Safety Measures
CURRENT SECURITY MEASURES
Mifflin Area School District continues to refine its crisis response
planning and to be vigilant about the security and safety of its
students and employees. Over the past year the school district has
spent considerable time and effort in assessing, planning and enhancing
security and safety measures appropriate for addressing incidents of
various types that can occur at any moment. Among these measures are:
- WMASD Emergency Management Security and Safety Plan(s) reviewed and updated within last 12 months. Plan(s) communicated and reviewed with school administrators on a continuing basis.
internal testing procedures for the newly installed Middle School
access control, alarm intrusion and closed circuit TV system have been
created and are in place. This system has been commissioned and tested
based on industry standards. Future integration to this system at all locations will be reviewed.
- Monitoring capabilities have been established via a “central station” for Middle School, Field House and Stadium locations.
testing procedures have been developed for buildings life safety
equipment, such as backup emergency generator equipment, emergency
lighting, emergency exit devices and other critical hardware. The established testing protocols have been documented and will be implemented at all facilities on a continuing basis.
assessment methodologies were made to all elementary “classroom door”
configurations and applications made to enhance current “lockdown”
- WMASD oversight of all security guard operations. WMASD
Liaison personnel reviews patrol logs, daily activity reports, roving
patrol data and conducts frequent communication with school
administrators and management personnel of guard contractor.
- Trained guard personnel located at each elementary, high school and middle school locations. All
guard personnel approved for assignment by WMASD after review of state
and federal mandated background checks received and documented.
Standard Operational Procedures (post orders) created and posted for
guards stationed at all facilities, including athletic events.
protocols at each facility to ensure that only one entrance/exit in
buildings are accessible at the sounding of the “last/late” bell.
- Visitor controls; employee and contractor IDs, sign in procedures updated and documented.
- Primary and secondary evacuation routes reviewed and improved at select locations.
- Door access technology projects to aid in visitor control for all elementary locations. Future integration of card access, alarm intrusion and closed circuit TV hardware to these locations.
- Additional technologies for internal communication being reviewed.
- WMASD Security and Safety Web Site updated.
- Security and Safety Awareness program being created and communicated to staff, students and school community.