The Technology Department is an integral part of the day to day functionality of the West Mifflin Area School District. The department services and supports all District departments in planning, implementing and supporting various uses of technology. In order to operate in the most cost effective manner, the Technology Department consistently analyzes district processes and procedures to ensure that district operations are efficiently streamlined.
Recently Completed Technology Department Projects
- Renovated the wireless infrastructure across the district with a large help from ERATE
- Increased Internet bandwidth to 100mbps
- Migrated on-premise Exchange server to the cloud (Office 365)
- Implemented an iPad 1-to-1 pilot program with the 6th and 7th grade
- Provided every district desktop and laptop with MS Office 2016 through an educational program with Microsoft
- Office 365 offers web-based MS Office applications and 1TB of online storage
- All staff and students qualify for a copy to be used on a home computer via their Office 365 account
- Replaced high school mobile labs with hybrid tablet/laptops to meet the demand for interactive devices while maintaining compatibility with widely used productivity applications
- Implement local broadcast cable channel with collaboration with the high school technology ed. dept.
- Created a Technology Integration Coordinator position
- Implemented redundant Internet connections to increase online resource reliability
- Replaced teacher laptops
- Updated the District's Technology Plan for the next three years - 2016-2019
Future Goals of the Technology Department
- Replace aging district network switches (2016-17) - ERATE
- Upgrade WAN connection to 10gb fiber (2016-17) - ERATE
- Absorb remaining physical servers into virtual environment
- Continual expansion of virtual desktops in classrooms and administrative offices
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 7 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.